Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday Day 15

Out of the woods!

I flew to Junction today to pick up some things that we still needed. Mostly Christmas presents for Mignon and Laurie’s family who will be here with us Wednesday through Friday. I did get some more clothes for Laurie as she continues to shrink. After I got back to Austin I stopped at the apartment to drop stuff off and Laurie was taking a nap so I went to the hospital to visit Zane.

While I was there one of his doctors saw me and came to visit with me about his progress. The Dr. was telling me that things were progressing well and that his genetic tests had all come back fine. Then he told me that one problem that might have caused the fluid buildup in his chest is an inability to process fat. I asked him if that was treatable and he said that it was. I grinned and asked him the big question, “So, are we out of the woods?” his response was, “yes, way out of the woods”. Through tears of joy I thanked him for telling me.

While I was talking with him Zane became agitated and frustrated and looked like he was trying to pull out his cpap tubes. The Dr. asked the nurse if he had been getting frustrated with the tubes and she said yes so the Dr. just told her to go ahead and take them out. So now he has the normal nasal cannula.

If the problem is an inability to process fats we will deal with that but otherwise he is just getting better and we will probably never know what caused the fluid to develop. Laurie and I say great we don’t have to know what caused it, all we want is our little man home with us.

Earlier today while I was traveling Laurie was at the hospital and they replaced his IVs with a central line in his wrist. So now it is much easier to hold him. He really calms down we he is in our arms. So now we will be able to hold him much more.

Tonight we went back together and Zane had done well with his food and was happy to see us. We saw him smile for the first time, he had the hiccups and even giggled. It has been a good Day!

God is good!

6 comments:

Lorri said...

Hey guys
I went to see Zane tonight after being off the weekend. He looks amazing! what wonderful news that he is out of the woods! God is good!! I will continue to check on him until you guys take him home.
Your web site has some fantastic pictures. very cool.
Keeping Zane in my prayers,
Lorri, L&D

Emily and Henry Owen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily and Henry Owen said...

What a precious boy! I love the one of him smiling at Laurie! He is so cute. I hope you all have a very merry Christmas! Peace, Emily Owen

Carmen said...

This is such great news and I love all the pictures. What a precious little boy!

Rev Kim said...

What a beautiful boy! So glad that you received such good news!

Drew and Rebecca said...

Laurie and Jim, could these pictures not be any more precious?? I'm so happy to hear that he's gaining strength and continuing to improve. These are priceless pictures!!! Also, got your message Laurie, I'm coming up Christmas day and I will be so sad to not see you guys but we understand. I am hoping to come up after my two showers this coming weekend for a few days so I will make a trip to the hospital. Can't wait to meet my new baby cousin! Love you guys!