Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Midweek Devotion "We are wonderfully made!"

Psalm 139:13-17 (ESV)
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
[14] I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
[15] My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
[16] Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there were none of them.
[17] How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

Looking at our new son Zane has me thinking a lot about how wonderfully we are made. This scripture has been an encouragement for me during the past week. Looking at Zane's fingers, toes, his eyes and nose I have reflected on God's great power and wisdom. All of our parts work together to make us something special. Several people have mentioned how much he looks like me; but he isn't a carbon copy he is unique and special in his own way.
You are unique. You are special. There has never been throughout time anyone exactly like you and there never will be. Turn your palms up and look at them. If you look closely, you will see tiny swirling lines on your fingers - finger prints. No one has those exactly like you do. God made you that way. You are one of a kind in many ways.
Have you ever heard that saying, “What a wonderful world it would be, if everyone was like me”? Well, don’t think that would be wonderful at all! We need to be different. We need diversity. It enriches us. If you have not found your uniqueness already, you will. Celebrate it. Let the world see it, hear it. For you have contributions to make that only you can give.

You are gifted. God has created you with untold talents and abilities. Some of these gifts you already know. Others you will be discovering and developing all your life. Together we make up the body of Christ here on earth. Each of us just like a body part has a specific role to play in the functioning of the body. We are each very important to God and one another.

No comments: