Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Camping in July

When I was a kid we did lots of family camp outs, I was really lucky! I was also in the Boy Scouts and camped at least once a month with them and then spent a week at scout camp every summer. Most of my camping as a kid was in a tent either the thin nylon taffeta type or the heavy canvas type. Growing up in Florida when you went camping you were either hot getting eaten by mosquitoes, or cold, there never seemed to be that perfect weekend. But all in all I have terrific memories of my camping experiences and don't seem to remember the heat bothering us all that much.

Boy, how times have changed. Now our family camping trips include either AC or heat.

We have a great little camper that is easy to pull and has ac, heat, microwave, toilet, oven, stove and two king beds. Camping is not what it used to be. Yesterday our high was 102 but we were able to stay cool in the Llano River and in the pop-up.


We are very fortunate in that where we camp is less than 5 miles from our house so we can steal away for a night here and there without much expense. It is an isolated spot on the river, you can't hear traffic and at night you can see stars by the millions.

1 comment:

Alex said...

How fun! Don't let my husband see the photos of your pop-up -- he wants one exactly like this! Thanks for sharing your photos.